Friday, November 12, 2010

Mocap

I wanted to do a post on motion capture (mocap) that is used in movies (like Avatar) to capture human or character movement, and is more recently being used in video games for 3D motion. As I peruse the sites looking for some fun links for you to view, I came across a nice description as to why humans are used for animal characters in animation. . .

Humans are the vast majority of mocap actors, because humans are patient, will take direction, and will not attempt to lick markers off their bodies, unlike dogs, cats, tarantulas, and so forth.

I couldn't stop laughing so I figured I would just share. :) It makes sense, it's just random. Maybe I'm easily amused.

Post-DR and wrap on set for Refuge from the Storm, the snowball just gets going faster. I will be starting production on yet another feature film and production on a video game thriller - - helping produce as well as stepping in with my skills in mocap as a character in the game! Uber exciting. Watch for more updates on that! 
Happy Friday!!

PS. Clip that shows a bit of mocap with markers and cams: